Final Authority for Matters of Belief and Conduct
Our Statement of Faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe.
Our core beliefs are found in the UBC Articles of Faith:
1. We believe that the entire Bible is the inspired and inerrant Word of God – the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
2. We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
3. We believe in the sacrificial vicarious death of Jesus Christ on the cross, and that He thereby became a perfect substitutionary sacrifice for the sins of the world.
4. We believe in the literal, bodily, physical resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
5. We believe in the personal bodily, and physical return of Christ, which is the blessed hope of the Church.
6. We believe that all men are sinful and in an eternally lost condition apart from the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
7. We believe that acceptance into the family of God and eternal salvation can only be secured by believing in and by faith accepting and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as personal sin-bearer and Savior.
Statement on Human nature, Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality
We acknowledge that every human being is born into a state of sin which includes disordered feelings, emotions, and desires that can only be overcome and rightly ordered through what Jesus teaches as being born from above. This happens when someone places their trust and obedience in Jesus the Messiah. (Rom 5:12-21; Gen 3; John 3; 2 Cor 5:17)
We believe that God immutably creates each person as male or female. These two genders are distinct and complementary. Together they reflect the image and nature of God and are essential in maintaining a healthy and safe family and society (Gen 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person and is harmful to the spiritual and emotional health of the individual.
We believe in biblical marriage which means the uniting of one biological man and one biological woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture (Gen 2:18-25; Matthew 19: 5-6; Romans 1: 26-27; 1 Corinthians 6: 9.)
We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4). We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual activity, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, pedophilia and the use of pornography) is sinful, offensive to God, and harmful to the spiritual state of the offender, families and society. (Matt 15:18-20; 1 Cor 6:9-10).
We believe that in order to preserve the integrity of UBC, it’s leadership, and the local Body of Christ, it is imperative that our members agree to and abide by this Statement on Human nature, Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22).
We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21; Rom 10:9-10; 1 Cor 6:9-11).
We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of UBC.
Statement of the Sanctity of Human Life
We believe that all human life from conception through natural death is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are, therefore, called to defend, protect, and value all human life (Ps. 139).
University Bible Church Statements, January 2019